[Rubygems-developers] Gems as Ruby programs (or not)?

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Sat Jan 24 09:37:39 EST 2004

At the Software MFA program I attended in Illinois recently, I was talking
about RubyGems with one of the other attendees and he started really
grilling me on why the gem files (not the specs) are Ruby programs.

He did a pretty good job of convincing me.  By the end of the
conversation, I couldn't really think of a good reason (that would
outweight the negatives--mainly security issues).

Any thoughts?  Is there some reason that I've forgotten?