[Rubygems-developers] 0.8.3 Documentation

Patrick May patrick at hexane.org
Sun Dec 12 15:56:07 EST 2004

On Saturday, December 11, 2004, at 01:01  AM, Jim Weirich wrote:

> We have been hit *bad* with wiki spam.  In some causes actual page
> content was
> lost because we did not uncover the spam in time.  In particular, the
> Environment variable page was trashed and the original contest was no
> longer
> in the history.  I've rewritten that page from scratch (and if someone
> would
> like to review, I would appreciate it).

It might be good to allow project managers to lock their wikis down.
Maybe the default should only allow project developers to edit the
wiki.  Much of the documentation is broadcast from the project
developer.  Ruby-forge provides functionality that is good for
spammers, but isn't really used by many developers yet.

The ruby community is concentrated on ruby-talk  on ruby-garden.  The
ruby-forge wikis spread the focus out a bit.

Another tactic would be to setup the ruby-forge wiki's to have properly
nested home pages on the ruby-garden wiki.  That way, the admin
attention can be more focused.  I dunno.

I feel like I've spent more time fighting spammers, and less time
working on narf (which doesn't use the ruby-forge wiki, but which did
have a project wiki, hence similar spam problems).  That feels wrong to
me.

~ patrick