[Rubygems-developers] Oddity in Gem.activate?

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Sat Dec 11 09:55:34 EST 2004

On Saturday 11 December 2004 02:16 am, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> puts $LOAD_PATH
>   /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.4.10/bin
>   /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.4.10/lib
> Why is the _bin_ path of the Rake gem being added to the $LOAD_PATH?
> Shouldn't it just be the _lib_ directory?

RubyGems has been doing this since forever, but I agree that it is not
appropriate to include the bin directory in the load path.  I don't /know/ of
anything that depends on this, but have been reluctant to remove it without
some kind of testing to see if any gems are affected.  It
certainly /shouldn't/ bother rake to remove bin from the load path.