[Rubygems-developers] GEM_SKIP Questions

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Sat Dec 11 01:18:31 EST 2004

Sorry to put out so many message on the list at once.

But not so sorry that I will stop.

I know that Ryan Davis has submitted the GEM_SKIP patch that prevents certain
gems from being loaded.

However, I haven't seen the need for this.  It seems that RubyGems is very
polite about not activating gems that already exist in the load path.  I have
have had great success in testing rake from a non-gem development area (and I
always install rake as a gem).

So, I guess I need some enlightenment on exactly what the conditions are that
give rise to the need for GEM_SKIP.  I'm probably just missing something
fundamental.  Thanks!

Is Ryan on the list?  I think I will include him as a CC so he can respond if
he wished.

Thanks.  I'm probably just being slow tonight.

(And I think this is the last of the messages I needed to send to the RubyGems
list tonight.  So you can all rest until I find more issues.)