[Rubygems-developers] 0.8.3 Documentation

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Sat Dec 11 01:01:55 EST 2004

I've been going through the RubyGems wiki site to update some of the
documentation. Here is a couple of notes in that regard.

Wiki Issues

We have been hit *bad* with wiki spam.  In some causes actual page content was
lost because we did not uncover the spam in time.  In particular, the
Environment variable page was trashed and the original contest was no longer
in the history.  I've rewritten that page from scratch (and if someone would
like to review, I would appreciate it).

We finally have the wiki spam at RubyGarden under control, but the RubyForge
wikis are particularlly troublesome.  We have no RSS feed (to make spammed
pages easier to detect).  The version of UseMod is not the latest.  I'm not
sure who (if anyone) as admin writes to the wiki (to maintain a banned list
and delete non-relevent pages).

I'm really concerned about possible documentation loss.  What we have suffered
up to date is not serious, but it could easily become serious.  I have barely
enough time to write the docs once, let alone multiple times.  I would
welcome discussion on possible alternatives (e.g. a WIki backup plan, moving
basic docs off the wiki, or something else).

Gem Specification Reference

The GemSpecification Reference page was one that was lost.  Fortunately, it is
one of two pages that are generated outside the wiki.  I regenerated the page
and updated it, but there are some spec fields that need some writeup.  I'm
asking that the folks who added the spec fields take a few moments and update
the docs.  You can find them in the scripts area of the CVS working
directory.  (specdoc.rb/yaml/data).  Thanks.

The gem command line reference is a bit out of date as well, I can get this
one (unless someone beats me to it).

Thanks to everyone for their time.