[Rubygems-developers] We try again: RubyGem Release 0.8.3

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Tue Dec 7 10:18:40 EST 2004

Chad Fowler said:
> Some comments/additions below.

>> * Added workaround for the null byte in Dir string issue. (see
>>   http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/121702).
>
> (credit mauricio)

Oh, sorry.  Of course!  (Thanks Mauricio).

[...]
>> * Multiple gem names are allowed on the gem install command line.
[...]
>> * Switch to using setup.rb (rather than a custom install script).

> I would be sure to say that we switched to setup.rb for installing the
> rubygems framework itself.

Can you fill me in on the driving reasons we switched.  I was a bit out of
the loop on that one.

> Also, Ryan Davis made a patch so you can use an env variable, GEM_SKIP,
> to tell loadpath_manager not to load gems of those names.   This was
> useful for him while testing libs that he had in development.

Do you have details on how this one works?  I'm going to try to review the
wiki docs and bring them up to date before the announcement.

> It's also possible to install multiple gems at once now like:

Got that one covered!

Thanks for the feedback.