[Rubygems-developers] We try again: RubyGem Release 0.8.3

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Tue Dec 7 07:24:03 EST 2004

Some comments/additions below.

On 07-Dec-04, at 1:50 AM, Jim Weirich wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 December 2004 12:47 am, Jim Weirich wrote:
>> [...]  I'm going to spend
>> a little time tonight yet to put together a release announcement for
>> tommorrow.
>
> Here's the release announce I'm planning on for tomorrow.  Let me know
> if I
> have misstated anything.
>
> I'll give this until tommorrow evening for feedback before I upload
> the gem
> and make the announcement official.

> ----------------
> Wow, we are nearing the 8000 mark for downloads of RubyGems.

Technically, we passed 8,000 a while back if you count the "gem install
rubygems-update".  If you count the Windows installer, it's more like
10,000 but let's not go there :)

> I am
> please to announce that a new point release of RubyGems is now
> available on RubyForge.  This release is mostly a bug fix and code
> cleanup release.  The good news is that there are several really
> annoying issues that have been addressed in 0.8.3.
>
> Here's the important stuff ...
>
> To download and install:
>
> (1) DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
> (2) UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
> (3) INSTALL WITH:  ruby setup.rb all  (you may need admin/root
> privilege)
>
> ... or, if you have an existing RubyGem installation ....
>
> $ gem install rubygems-update  (again, might need to be admin/root)
> $ update_rubygems              (... here too)
>

> What's Changed?
>
> No real earth shattering news here, but there were a number of really
> annoying issues involving other libraries that RubyGems depends upon.
> 0.8.3 contains some workarounds for these issues.  In particular:
>
> * Added workaround for the null byte in Dir string issue. (see
>   http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/121702).

(credit mauricio)

> * Added workaround for old version of Zlib on windows that caused
>   Ruwiki to fail to install. (see
>   http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/121770)
>
> * Added workaround for large YAML file issues.  (We dynamically cut
>   down the size of the source index YAML file and seem to have worked
>   around immediate issues.
>
> There has been some minor usability enhancements and changes ...
>
> * A user specific source index cache can be used when the site-wide
>   cache is unwritable (i.e. because you are running as a non-admin).
>   This *greatly* speeds up gem commands run in non-admin mode when the
>   site-wide cache is out of date.
>
> * The gem command now used an HTTP HEAD command to detect if the
>   server's source index needs to be downloaed.
>
> * gem check gemname --test will run unit tests on installed gems that
>   have unit tests.
>
> * Multiple gem names are allowed on the gem install command line.
>
> * Multiple authors my be specified in a Gem spec.
>
> * Switch to using setup.rb (rather than a custom install script).

I would be sure to say that we switched to setup.rb for installing the
rubygems framework itself.

Also, Ryan Davis made a patch so you can use an env variable, GEM_SKIP,
to tell loadpath_manager not to load gems of those names.   This was
useful for him while testing libs that he had in development.

It's also possible to install multiple gems at once now like:

gem install *gem

or

gem install bluecloth rake some_gems/*gem

You've done some great stuff lately, Jim.  Thanks for keeping things
moving when a lot of us are unable to find the time!

Chad