[Rubygems-developers] We try again: RubyGem Release 0.8.3

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Tue Dec 7 01:50:36 EST 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 12:47 am, Jim Weirich wrote:
> [...]  I'm going to spend
> a little time tonight yet to put together a release announcement for
> tommorrow.

Here's the release announce I'm planning on for tomorrow.  Let me know if I
have misstated anything.

I'll give this until tommorrow evening for feedback before I upload the gem
and make the announcement official.

Wow, we are nearing the 8000 mark for downloads of RubyGems.  I am
please to announce that a new point release of RubyGems is now
available on RubyForge.  This release is mostly a bug fix and code
cleanup release.  The good news is that there are several really
annoying issues that have been addressed in 0.8.3.

Here's the important stuff ...

To download and install:

(1) DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
(2) UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
(3) INSTALL WITH:  ruby setup.rb all  (you may need admin/root privilege)

... or, if you have an existing RubyGem installation ....

$ gem install rubygems-update  (again, might need to be admin/root)
$ update_rubygems              (... here too)

What's Changed?

No real earth shattering news here, but there were a number of really
annoying issues involving other libraries that RubyGems depends upon.
0.8.3 contains some workarounds for these issues.  In particular:

* Added workaround for the null byte in Dir string issue. (see
  http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/121702).

* Added workaround for old version of Zlib on windows that caused
  Ruwiki to fail to install. (see
  http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/121770)

* Added workaround for large YAML file issues.  (We dynamically cut
  down the size of the source index YAML file and seem to have worked
  around immediate issues.

There has been some minor usability enhancements and changes ...

* A user specific source index cache can be used when the site-wide
  cache is unwritable (i.e. because you are running as a non-admin).
  This *greatly* speeds up gem commands run in non-admin mode when the
  site-wide cache is out of date.

* The gem command now used an HTTP HEAD command to detect if the
  server's source index needs to be downloaed.

* gem check gemname --test will run unit tests on installed gems that
  have unit tests.

* Multiple gem names are allowed on the gem install command line.

* Multiple authors my be specified in a Gem spec.

* Switch to using setup.rb (rather than a custom install script).

And finally there have been a number of internal changes, enhancements
and just general cleanup.  A lot of work has been done in the remote
installer area (some of which you can see in the caching changes noted
above) in preparation for unifying the local and remote logic so that
there is less difference in installing local gems and remote gems.  In
particular, we want to be able to satisfy dependencies from locally
available gem files.  We are not there yet, but we are working on it.

Summary

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback we have been getting.
Please continue to let us know what you think and what you want.  Many
minor changes in this release were initiated/requested by folks other
than the core gems team.  That's great.

And most of all, keep making and releasing those gems!

-- Jim (for the RubyGems team)