[Rubygems-developers] Remote Installer Progress

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Fri Dec 3 09:58:35 EST 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Jim Weirich wrote:

> On Friday 03 December 2004 06:56 am, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Jim Weirich wrote:
>>> rubygems.rb).  Also, I'm not sure if ".gem" is an appropriate name when
>>> in windows, I'm open to suggestions.
>> Seems OK to me -- these are rather old:
>> http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=gem&goButton=Go
> Ahhh ... just to be clear, ".gem" is not the file extension, but the entire
> file name.  It is a convention on unix that file beginnnig with "." are
> hidden.  Lots of apps in unix put a ".appname" file in a users home directory
> to store per user information.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly when I wrote that.  I think
I've had this conversation before in the context of some ruby thing
when I mentioned that vim allows an _vimrc file on Windows in case
the .vimrc is a problem.  People asserted quite firmly that on
windows .vimrc should never be a problem and thus
.<whatever_it_was_we_were_talking_about/> would not be a problem
either.  [In case anyone is as confused as I was above: that's in
XML style, not redirections and a directory reference! :-)]
> So that's what I was asking, is a file name (not extension) ".gem"
> too weird for windows users?
So I think the answer to that is "It should be fine."  But it's
proprietry, so Windows may well do whatever it likes :-)

         Thank you,