[Rubygems-developers] Remote Installer Progress

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Fri Dec 3 02:37:32 EST 2004

Recent changes include:

(1) Support for a user writable cache file if the system wide file is not
writable.  The user writable file will be $HOME/.gem/source_cache
(overridable via GEMCACHE env variable).  I do attempt to find a reasonable
home directory for windows machines (see the find_home method in
rubygems.rb).  Also, I'm not sure if ".gem" is an appropriate name when in
windows, I'm open to suggestions.

(2) Included a patch provided by Austin Ziegler to work around problems with
the 1.1.4 zlib on windows.  The 1.1.4 zlib problem caused gem to crash with a
'buffer error' when installing ruwiki.

I've tested (2) on windows XP and linux (Debian), but would like to hear
feedback from a few other platforms as well.

There is still a bit of work in the remote install portion.  I need to tweak
the cache file writing a bit and Chad has suggested looking at some
dependency install issues.

However, given that the source base now includes several fixes (zlib as
described here, a large yaml file workaround and the null byte workaround), I
would like to do a point release soon.  I'm suggesting this weekend.