[Rubygems-developers] More work on the remote installer

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Wed Dec 1 09:01:23 EST 2004

I am continuing my work on the remote installer.  Recent changes include :

(1) proxy support added back to the RemoteSourceFetcher.  We lost proxy
support when I switched to using an HTTP HEAD request.  We now have that
back.  In addition, there are several unit tests covering proxy support in
RemoteSourceFetcher.  The unit tests involve firing up two web services
during the unit test.  I would appreciate if people try it and and report any

(2) The YAML file retrieved from the remote source is "reduced" before passing
it to YAML.load.  I was having a terrible time with large YAML files and the
YAML loader crashing.  Reducing the size of the YAML works around this bug,
but does not eliminate the root case.  The YAML file is reduced by removing
the files list from all the gemspecs.  This reduced the size of the YAML file
by 60% (IIRC).  Since the files list is not used in the source info cache, I
don't anticipate any problems.  We might consider reducing the YAML
file /before/ sending it over the wire to reduce bandwith usage.

Next on my hit list ...

(A) Fix the test_install method in test_remote_installer, which was broken
(and currently disabled) by the RemoteSourceFetcher changes.

(B) Add support for a writable per-user source info cache for use when the
global cache cannot be written.j

(C) Continued refactoring of the remote installer.