[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems 0.8.0

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Wed Aug 18 11:26:50 EDT 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

# On Thursday, August 19, 2004, 12:45:34 AM, Chad wrote:
# > Hello all,
# >   We have a huge list of changes stacked up and ready to be released.  I
# > would like to (rather strongly) propose that we freeze all functionality
# > changes and begin testing for a RubyGems 0.8.0 release at the end of this
# > week.  All in favor?
# I'm definitely keen to get these features out in public.  One thing,
# though: library stubs.  They're in the spec but not yet implemented
# (i.e. the gemspec attribute is ignored).  I've started the work to
# implement them and would really like to include it in 0.8, especially
# since the feature has been discussed on ruby-talk.
# The schedule is fine with me, as long as I get to work on it this
# Sunday coming up.

I was hoping to shoot for an earlier-than-sunday release.  Any chacne you
can pull it in closer?

# >   So if you've got extra RubyGems time this week, grab the latest CVS
# > snapshot and run everything you can think of.  New gems, old gems, rdoc,
# > testing (which I need to do some fixes for), etc. etc. etc.
# So you're going to make unit tests work?  Sweet.
# Can you make the entire gem repository available as a single (private)
# download?  I'd like to run extensive tests, and that would be the
# easiest way for me.

# >   After 0.8.0 then it's (IMO) time to finish up features for a 0.9.0
# > release.  I'm thinking 0.9.0 thru 1.0 should be a series of small
# > enhancements and/or bug fixes leading up to 1.0 (by RubyConf!).  Any
# > disagreement?
# No; a 1.0 by RubyConf would be nice.  I'm not sure what further
# features are desired (RI integration tops my list), but that's food
# for later thought.

I chatted with Dave T. about this, and we have the beginnings of what
might make sense.  We would both like to avoid having to make a separate
ri-gems script for this.  Just need to iron out the kinks, but I don't
think it's going to be a big deal.