[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems 0.8.0

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Wed Aug 18 10:55:23 EDT 2004

On Thursday, August 19, 2004, 12:45:34 AM, Chad wrote:

> Hello all,

>   We have a huge list of changes stacked up and ready to be released.  I
> would like to (rather strongly) propose that we freeze all functionality
> changes and begin testing for a RubyGems 0.8.0 release at the end of this
> week.  All in favor?

I'm definitely keen to get these features out in public.  One thing,
though: library stubs.  They're in the spec but not yet implemented
(i.e. the gemspec attribute is ignored).  I've started the work to
implement them and would really like to include it in 0.8, especially
since the feature has been discussed on ruby-talk.

The schedule is fine with me, as long as I get to work on it this
Sunday coming up.

>   So if you've got extra RubyGems time this week, grab the latest CVS
> snapshot and run everything you can think of.  New gems, old gems, rdoc,
> testing (which I need to do some fixes for), etc. etc. etc.

So you're going to make unit tests work?  Sweet.

Can you make the entire gem repository available as a single (private)
download?  I'd like to run extensive tests, and that would be the
easiest way for me.

>   After 0.8.0 then it's (IMO) time to finish up features for a 0.9.0
> release.  I'm thinking 0.9.0 thru 1.0 should be a series of small
> enhancements and/or bug fixes leading up to 1.0 (by RubyConf!).  Any
> disagreement?

No; a 1.0 by RubyConf would be nice.  I'm not sure what further
features are desired (RI integration tops my list), but that's food
for later thought.

Gavin