[Rubygems-developers] Overhaul of specification.rb

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Sat Aug 14 14:43:00 EDT 2004

On Aug 11, 2004, at 10:07 AM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 11, 2004, 10:02:21 PM, Chad wrote:
>

>> On Aug 9, 2004, at 9:40 PM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
>
>>    1) Error:
>> test_to_ruby_and_back(TestLegacyRubySpecification):
>> LoadError:
>> Could not find RubyGem dev-utils (> 0.0.0)
>
>>      /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:50:in `require_gem'
>>      /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:33:in `require_gem'
>>      test_specification.rb:236:in `test_to_ruby_and_back'
>
>> Gavin, did you perhaps forget to cvs add something?
>
> No, that require_gem shouldn't have been there (any longer).  D'oh!!
> Fixed now.

Looks like there's one more problem that I noticed while trying to
implement some other things:  Your alias for #test_suite_file works
when you're building a gem, but it doesn't work when you want to run
tests on pre-existing gem files.  I suppose this is because YAML
doesn't touch your attributes, but instead just populates the instance
variables of the Gem::Specification object.  So, for example, you can
load the YAML and get a Gem::Specification object that has
"@test_suite_file" set properly, but calling "spec.test_suite_file"
doesn't work because "@test_files" is nil.  I'll try to get to this
later, but if anyone wants to take a crack at it before then, be my
guess.  I have my regular busy Saturday lined up unfortunately.

Chad