[Rubygems-developers] Overhaul of specification.rb

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Wed Aug 4 20:31:04 EDT 2004

Chad Fowler wrote:
> Looks like this introduced a major bug, probably having to do with the
> way default values for optional dependencies are generated/handled:
>
> chadfowler$ sudo ruby -I lib bin/gem install rake
> Attempting local installation of 'rake'
> Local gem file not found: rake.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'rake'
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
>     undefined method `each' for nil:NilClass

Running with the --backtrace flag shows that the error happens when
trying to apply "each" to the dependencies.  The new spec code sets up
dependencies to be initialized to the default value of [].

However, Rake has no dependencies in the gem file.  When the rake spec
is read by YAML, do we do anything to insure that dependencies != nil
after loading by YAML.

That's where I would start looking.