[Rubygems-developers] Overhaul of specification.rb

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Wed Aug 4 18:23:16 EDT 2004

On Aug 1, 2004, at 10:56 AM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I've done a lot of work on specification.rb.  The motivation was to
> organise the code a bit better, and give special treatment to all
> gemspec attributes to prevent repitition.  I wanted to add
> 'library_stubs' and 'test_files' attributes, and deprecate
> 'test_suite_file', but also to ensure that the overall code was
> written and tested well.

Looks like this introduced a major bug, probably having to do with the
way default values for optional dependencies are generated/handled:

chadfowler$ sudo ruby -I lib bin/gem install rake
Attempting local installation of 'rake'
Local gem file not found: rake.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rake'
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
     undefined method `each' for nil:NilClass

chadfowler$ cvs update -r 1.44 lib/rubygems/specification.rb
chadfowler at rubyforge.org's password:
P lib/rubygems/specification.rb

chadfowler$ sudo ruby -I lib bin/gem install rake
Attempting local installation of 'rake'
Local gem file not found: rake.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rake'
Successfully installed rake, version 0.4.4

I'm heading out now and wasn't able to quickly figure out the problem
(the new specification code is clever but not quite as obvious as the
old code--need to take a moment to digest).  If anyone feels like
getting to this before me, have at it.  Otherwise, I'll try to hit it
tonight.

Chad