[Rubygems-developers] --gen-rdoc b0rked?

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Wed Apr 28 12:14:43 EDT 2004

I may be missing something, but when playing with gem_server I
noticed I don't have rdoc installed - so like a fool I tried
installing with

gem -i copland --gen-rdoc

This makes doc_manager.rb go boom:

rasputin at lb:misc$ gem -i copland --gen-rdoc
Attempting local installation of 'copland'
 -> Local installation can't proceed: Unknown gem file 'copland'
Attempting remote installation of 'copland'
Successfully installed copland version 0.3.0
/data/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9/rubygems/doc_manager.rb:12:in `initialize': private method `split' called for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
        from /data/ruby/bin/gem:423:in `new'
        from /data/ruby/bin/gem:423:in `install'
        from /data/ruby/bin/gem:422:in `each'
        from /data/ruby/bin/gem:422:in `install'
        from /data/ruby/bin/gem:115:in `run'
        from /data/ruby/bin/gem:694

A quick glance at the code shows that the gem command passes in
@options.rdoc_args, (which is nil by default, but initialize takes it,
bypasses it's default "" arg and you get the error above).

I was going to send a patch, but ISTR that there was another rdoc
patch doing the rounds. Does it address this?

Sex is not the answer.  Sex is the question.  "Yes" is the answer.
		-- Swami X