[Rubygems-developers] Application stub not working (?)

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Mon Apr 26 11:56:57 EDT 2004

I modified my local copy of rake-0.3.1.gem to include

  executables: ["rake"]

and reinstalled.  It did put the app stub there, but this is
what it created:

  $ cat `which rake`
  #!/usr/local/bin/ruby

  #
  # This file was generated by RubyGems.
  #
  # The application 'rake' is installed as part of a gem, and
  # this file is here to facilitate running it.
  #

  require 'rubygems'
  require_gem 'rake', "0.3.1"
  load 'rake'

That doesn't work.  I get this error:

  $ rake ut
  /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.3.1/lib/rake: Is a directory - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  /gems/rake-0.3.1/lib/rake (Errno::EISDIR)
          from /usr/local/bin/rake:12:in `load'
          from /usr/local/bin/rake:12

I thought this feature did work, and was afraid I broke it.  An
eyeball of the previous revision of the file revealed nothing
important.

I'll assume I did break it, and will try to fix it tomorrow.  I just
didn't want to have too many uncomitted changes.

BTW even running 'gem_install_bin.rb' in the rake distro is not
getting rake running for me, and I don't understand why...

Cheers,
Gavin