[Rubygems-developers] Committed: generate library stub on install
gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Mon Apr 26 11:56:48 EDT 2004
Well, I've ironed out the errors, and it seems to work, but like
Chad's latest effort, this needs a lot of testing, and some discussion
For example, after installing the 'fingerserver' gem:
$ cat /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/fingerserver.rb
# This file was generated by RubyGems.
# The library 'fingerserver' is installed as part of a gem, and
# this file is here so you can 'require' it easily (i.e.
# without having to know it's a gem).
It's nothing terribly different from the application stub. Which, by
the way, I'm not sure works (see other thread).... :-\
Issues with this feature:
- if you don't have write access to the site_ruby/1.x directory,
- it's not cleaned up during uninstall (same as app stub)
- it only stubs the 'autorequire' file
- this is intentional, but not well thought out
- it means that you can't go straight ahead and require
x/y when x is the autorequire
-> this is a hole in the 'backwards-compatibility' layer, and
will probably bite (only) a few people at some point
More information about the Rubygems-developers