[Rubygems-developers] Committed: generate library stub on install

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Mon Apr 26 11:56:48 EDT 2004

Well, I've ironed out the errors, and it seems to work, but like
Chad's latest effort, this needs a lot of testing, and some discussion
as well.

For example, after installing the 'fingerserver' gem:

  $ cat /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/fingerserver.rb
  #
  # This file was generated by RubyGems.
  #
  # The library 'fingerserver' is installed as part of a gem, and
  # this file is here so you can 'require' it easily (i.e.
  # without having to know it's a gem).
  #

  require 'rubygems'
  require_gem 'fingerserver'

It's nothing terribly different from the application stub.  Which, by
the way, I'm not sure works (see other thread).... :-\

Issues with this feature:
 - if you don't have write access to the site_ruby/1.x directory,
   tough luck
 - it's not cleaned up during uninstall (same as app stub)
 - it only stubs the 'autorequire' file
   - this is intentional, but not well thought out
   - it means that you can't go straight ahead and require
     x/y when x is the autorequire
     -> this is a hole in the 'backwards-compatibility' layer, and
        will probably bite (only) a few people at some point

Good night!

Gavin