[Rubygems-developers] PATCH: respect requirements of gems

Mauricio Fernández batsman.geo at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 13:03:34 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 01:30:31AM +1000, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> On Thursday, April 22, 2004, 9:43:52 PM, Dick wrote:
> > IMO a gem should be able to tell us what it needs, so this
> > would be the right place to do the checks.
> I'm leaving this area of implementation to others, but "yes", we
> definitely need to be able to show the user a dependency tree for a
> given gem.  That feature obviously has a lot in common with the
> current subject of discussion.

The following basic problem still hasn't been solved:
  given two gems A and B, such that A depends on B, does some specific B
  (i.e. some version of it) satisfy A's dependency (i.e. make it work ok,
  not only satisfy whatever's specified in the gemspec)?

It won't be possible to create the dependency tree (a correct one that
is) until that is done.

> >> IMHO, just like when installing, Rubygems should ensure that the system
> >> is not left in a broken state when removing packages.
> > That's essential IMO. If it can be done cleanly, that's great.
> > I think a temporary solution at least is needed before a next release.
> I don't think it's that urgent.  The gem population is small enough at
> the moment [1] that you can easily uninstall everything and reinstall
> what you need in a short time.

You're considering this in terms of functionality, i.e. 'does that make a
big difference for the end user', and as you say, given the number of
gems, the answer is 'no'. However, IMHO the alpha phase is not so much
about providing functionality, bells & whistles for the end user, but
about making sure the basis are solid. IMHO always, this is a critical

> I don't mind this feature going in, but I don't want to delay the next
Why so?

> release much longer.  As I mentioned in the "Next RubyGems aplha ..."
> thread, I see this feature as going in very soon but not right away.

Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

It's computer hardware, of course it's worth having <g>
	-- Espy on #Debian