[Rubygems-developers] Gem dependencies and the next release

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Thu Apr 22 11:45:49 EDT 2004

On Friday, April 23, 2004, 1:21:32 AM, Jim wrote:

>> The only two features I think are important for the next release:
>> * gem_path [2] in the config file should work
>> * plain require 'package' should work when package is a gem

> Has anyone implemented options and file list to the rdoc option.  Rake
> needs that to generate reasonable RDocs.  (I can work on this if it is not
> done yet).

Yeah, the "rdoc" config file key is working now, as long as you don't
have options with spaces :(

e.g.

  gem: --gen-rdoc --run-tests
  rdoc: --template html --private
  gem_path:
    - this is currently ignored
    - but I'll implement it tomorrow or Saturday
    - (if not, release anyway)

Not sure what you mean about file list.

Early in the life of RubyGems, I worked on a patch to allow/encourage
this in a gemspec:

  s.files.add { |f|
    f.bin.concat ...          # app files
    f.lib.concat ...          # we treat everything as lib ATM
    f.doc.concat ...          # is this what you want, Jim?
  }

I ended up dropping the local mods.

We currently specify app files with 'bin_files = ...'.  This would be
nicer using something like the above approach.  The doc files are
especially nice because it allows you to include stuff like README,
TODO, and so on.  They can then get placed in
'gems/package-1.0/doc/misc', and we could have gem_server make them
browable.

Hmmmm.... come to think of it, I'm not sure this is what you're
talking about Jim.  Oh well :)

Cheers,
Gavin