[Rubygems-developers] PATCH: respect requirements of gems

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Thu Apr 22 11:30:31 EDT 2004

On Thursday, April 22, 2004, 9:43:52 PM, Dick wrote:

> IMO a gem should be able to tell us what it needs, so this
> would be the right place to do the checks.

I'm leaving this area of implementation to others, but "yes", we
definitely need to be able to show the user a dependency tree for a
given gem.  That feature obviously has a lot in common with the
current subject of discussion.

>> IMHO, just like when installing, Rubygems should ensure that the system
>> is not left in a broken state when removing packages.

> That's essential IMO. If it can be done cleanly, that's great.
> I think a temporary solution at least is needed before a next release.

I don't think it's that urgent.  The gem population is small enough at
the moment [1] that you can easily uninstall everything and reinstall
what you need in a short time.

I don't mind this feature going in, but I don't want to delay the next
release much longer.  As I mentioned in the "Next RubyGems aplha ..."
thread, I see this feature as going in very soon but not right away.