[Rubygems-developers] Gem dependencies and the next release

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Thu Apr 22 11:21:32 EDT 2004

Gavin Sinclair said:
> On Thursday, April 22, 2004, 9:43:52 PM, Dick wrote:
>> IMO a gem should be able to tell us what it needs, so this
>> would be the right place to do the checks.
> I'm leaving this area of implementation to others, but "yes", we
> definitely need to be able to show the user a dependency tree for a
> given gem.  That feature obviously has a lot in common with the
> current subject of discussion.

Given the inability to perfectly manage versions under /all/ conditions, I
am greatly in favor of providing the necessary tools to the user to figure
out and debug version problems.

Yes, a tool like this is very desirable.

> The only two features I think are important for the next release:
> * gem_path [2] in the config file should work
> * plain require 'package' should work when package is a gem

Has anyone implemented options and file list to the rdoc option.  Rake
needs that to generate reasonable RDocs.  (I can work on this if it is not
done yet).

> [2] can we please change the environment variable from RUBY_GEMS to
>     GEM_PATH?

Fine by me.