[Rubygems-developers] Next RubyGems alpha this week?

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Thu Apr 22 10:41:02 EDT 2004

On Thursday, April 22, 2004, 8:26:51 PM, Chad wrote:

> http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Release_Planning

> Looking at Gavin's Release Planning page, I'd say we're just about
> ready to go with the next gems release.  Of course, I said that 2 or 3
> weeks ago, and we still haven't made a release, so I thought I'd draw a
> line in the sand and see what you all tihnk:

> I'm proposing that we release the next alpha on or before Saturday.
>  From where I stand, it looks like we need two things for this to be an
> OK thing to do: Additional config file work by Gavin (probably
> optional) and additional documentation (Gavin and I have both gotten
> started on this--not much effort left).

> Since we're still calling it "alpha", I'm personally OK with putting it
> out with some obvious rough edges still showing.

> Anyone have a serious issue with this?

No serious issues, but it depends what the roadmap is.  The current
plan is to have a feature freeze after the next release and clean up a
bit.  Well, I think there are some essential features before that:

 * backwards compatibility (allow require 'package' where package
   is a gem - i.e. install package.rb stub in site_ruby/1.x)

 * Jim's "1.*"

These are important to get more people on board, I think.

I suggest we include the first one in the next alpha, because it is
easy to implement, and field testing is important to see how it goes
down.  That means a release soon.  I'll get the config bit done Real
Soon Now. [1]

Then I suggest we have another release soon-ish with some more
features, like "1.8" and more clever uninstalling, so we can get
them in before the feature freeze.

But really, I think the refactoring and so on should be done in a
branch, which means new features and even releases are still possible.
Refactored bits can be merged into the trunk bit by bit.

Does all that make sense?

[1] Can we change the RUBY_GEMS env var to GEM_PATH?  Pretty please? :D