[Rubygems-developers] PATCH: respect requirements of gems

Mauricio Fernández batsman.geo at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 03:39:04 EDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 09:14:32PM -0400, Chad Fowler wrote:
> I don't, however, like the idea of gems being responsible for telling
> us which gems depend on them.  I don't think this is too hard a
> problem, though.  We can always do something like (I haven't tried to
> run this yet):
>
> def check_dependent_gems(gem_name, gem_version)
>   dependent = []
>   Gem::Cache.from_installed_gems.each do { |name, spec|
>     spec.dependencies.each do |d|
>       if(d.name == name and d.version == version) then
The problem is a bit harder than this, due to Rubygems being able
to install several versions of a lib. at a time, and the fact that
add_dependency can be used w/o an explicit API version specification.

IMHO, just like when installing, Rubygems should ensure that the system
is not left in a broken state when removing packages. I think this
requires something like
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2004-April/000296.html

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

Turn right here. No! NO! The OTHER right!