[Rubygems-developers] About to add...

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Wed Apr 21 21:16:46 EDT 2004

On 21/4/2004, at 7:31 PM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> On Thursday, April 22, 2004, 3:28:51 AM, Richard wrote:
>
>> ...the ability to load the yaml file as a zlib compressed version (if
>> available).
>
>> It is now available on rubyforge (and regenerate hourly from the
>> directory of gems)
>
>> http://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml.Z
>
>> this file is 20k vs. 147k
>
> I didn't notice a CVS change to gem_server, so I guess this yaml.Z
> generation is hardcoded on rubyforge at the moment?
>
> Do you plan to make it a gem_server responsibility.  Then it could
> regenerate the yaml.Z file when it notices an addition.  (Or not?)

We were chatting about this in the afternoon.  gem_server can easily be
modified to respond to /yaml.Z, or we could have it zlib-compress
anything ending with .Z.  You wouldn't have to generate it on the file
system.  You can just stream it out compressed.

>> ...it would require a modification in the get_caches method on in the
>> remote_installer to check for the .Z file first, and download/inflate
>> if available.
>
> Sadly, I don't have time to look into it now, but when I got the
> latest CVS, installed, and ran 'gem -Rl' it didn't seem any faster.

It may not be faster, but it will probably save Rich and company some
bandwidth money. :)

> Thanks for doing this; it'll be nice to see faster operations.

Maybe you need an Australian mirror. ;)

Chad