[Rubygems-developers] About to add...

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Wed Apr 21 19:31:28 EDT 2004

On Thursday, April 22, 2004, 3:28:51 AM, Richard wrote:

> ...the ability to load the yaml file as a zlib compressed version (if
> available).

> It is now available on rubyforge (and regenerate hourly from the
> directory of gems)

> http://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml.Z

> this file is 20k vs. 147k

I didn't notice a CVS change to gem_server, so I guess this yaml.Z
generation is hardcoded on rubyforge at the moment?

Do you plan to make it a gem_server responsibility.  Then it could
regenerate the yaml.Z file when it notices an addition.  (Or not?)

> ...it would require a modification in the get_caches method on in the
> remote_installer to check for the .Z file first, and download/inflate
> if available.

Sadly, I don't have time to look into it now, but when I got the
latest CVS, installed, and ran 'gem -Rl' it didn't seem any faster.

Thanks for doing this; it'll be nice to see faster operations.

Cheers,
Gavin