[Rubygems-developers] About to add...

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Wed Apr 21 16:50:44 EDT 2004

* Richard Kilmer <rich at infoether.com> [0429 18:29]:
> ...the ability to load the yaml file as a zlib compressed version (if
> available).
> It is now available on rubyforge (and regenerate hourly from the
> directory of gems)
> http://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml.Z
> this file is 20k vs. 147k
> ...it would require a modification in the get_caches method on in the
> remote_installer to check for the .Z file first, and download/inflate
> if available.

How about you have some map of mime type to handler, and for each source
get_caches pushes the feed through a handler before processing it?

That would allow each feed (sorry if that's the wrong terminology) to provide
whatever compression method, or even delivery method (xml/rss) it fancied, so
long as the data could be translated to the standard on arrival.

It's a small code change now (I'm hoping open-uri can tell you the mime type),
but future-proofs things a little.

The grand leap of the whale up the Fall of Niagara is esteemed, by all
who have seen it, as one of the finest spectacles in nature.
		-- Benjamin Franklin.