[Rubygems-developers] Suggestion: install library stub

Eivind Eklund eivind at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 19 13:00:58 EDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 06:56:42AM -0400, Chad Fowler wrote:
> On 18/4/2004, at 9:13 PM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> >A quick one: I received an email from Sam Roberts asking all sorts of
> >questions about RubyGems.  One of them was this:
> >
> >>Anyhow, would it be possible for when a gem is installed that the
> >>latest
> >>version is always available by using 'require', so use of a library is
> >>not dependent on its distribution method?
> >
> >What if, say when someone installs 'lafcadio' as a gem, then we end up
> >with this:
> >
> >  $site_ruby/1.8/lafcadio.rb:
> >
> >    require 'rubygems'
> >    require_gem 'lafcadio'
> Not a bad idea at all.  I'm tempted to say let's do it, but I bet
> someone is going to come up with a reason not to. :)

I think this sounds good, as long as it is possible to disable.
(Repackaging and proper version handling for users require that we don't
end up overriding stubs with older versions automatically.)