[Rubygems-developers] Suggestion: install library stub

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Mon Apr 19 12:13:38 EDT 2004

A quick one: I received an email from Sam Roberts asking all sorts of
questions about RubyGems.  One of them was this:

> Anyhow, would it be possible for when a gem is installed that the latest
> version is always available by using 'require', so use of a library is
> not dependent on its distribution method?

What if, say when someone installs 'lafcadio' as a gem, then we end up
with this:

  $site_ruby/1.8/lafcadio.rb:

    require 'rubygems'
    require_gem 'lafcadio'

That's basically what happens with application gems right now, isn't
it?  Is it worth extending it to libraries?

There's a problem when someone does

  require 'x/y'

and we've only simulated

  require 'x'