[Rubygems-developers] Environment variables

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Sun Apr 18 09:57:15 EDT 2004

On 15/4/2004, at 8:28 AM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> To expedite my completion of the GemReference, can a knowledgeable
> authority please list the names and purposes of the environment
> variables that 'gem' uses?  I've always found at least one of them
> confusing, so I want the full story, not my own assumptions.

Sorry this took a couple of days.

GEM_HOME = The path in which to install gems.
make = specifies the "make" program to use for building source gems.
RUBY_GEMS = File::Separator delimited list of directories to search for
to find gems.  Like PATH.
HOME = typical use of HOME for finding config file, etc.

Chad