[Rubygems-developers] Specifying a platform

Richard Kilmer rich at infoether.com
Sat Apr 17 11:34:52 EDT 2004

On Apr 17, 2004, at 10:10 AM, Chad Fowler wrote:

> On 17/4/2004, at 9:51 AM, Jim Weirich wrote:
>
>> Chad Fowler wrote:
>>> I guess it's a subjective difference, but the parentheses *really*
>>> bother me.
>>> So, do we agree that we don't need -ruby- in the name of a gem?
>>
>> I wouldn't think so.  But is there a need to syntactically indicate
>> the platform portion of a gem file name?
>>

> I don't think the gem file name is important, since we have the yaml
> metadata.  If it is, we should fix it.

It name is not important...we do use the metadata, its just so that
gems can have unique names.  The -ruby- should not be on the gem name
if no platform is needed.  I thought that originally if you specified
the platform as RUBY is was nil, but my memory may be fuzzy.  Oh, and
ruby _IS_ a platform as are most languages :-)