[Rubygems-developers] Re: [Wxruby-users] RubyGems and wxRuby

Richard Kilmer rich at infoether.com
Fri Apr 16 00:26:12 EDT 2004

adding rubygems list...comments at end...

On Apr 15, 2004, at 11:15 PM, Curt Hibbs wrote:

> Richard Kilmer wrote:
>>> Ok. I'm a bit nervous posting the Linux wxRuby tarball, because I
>>> don't know if it will have dependencies specific to Debian or my
>>> system. I guess we'll find out. I haven't yet thought through what
>>> the
>>> tarball should actually contain. If you know of any rubygems advice
>>> in
>>> that area, please point me to it.
>> A RubyGem can also be a (C) source RubyGem where that source is built
>> upon install (assuming you use extconf.rb).
>> Does WxRuby use extconf.rb?...if so...it should be quite easy.
>> If you need to pass parameters to the extconf.rb:
>> ruby wxruby.gem --force -- --with-wxwidgets-dir=/usr/local
>> everything past the -- is sent to the extconf.rb file.
>> This only works for Ruby extensions, they would need wxWidgets already
>> installed...
> This is what I would want to avoid.
> I'm not sure what Kevin did for Linux in the past, but for Windows I
> built
> wxWidgets as a static library so that when I created wxRuby.so it
> contained
> everything -- nothing else to install, no external dependencies. I'm
> pretty
> sure the Mac version is built the same way.

This is fine, assuming everyone's linux runs the same binary.  This is
of an issue for both OS X and Win32 due to the control of the

> So Rich, my question to you is this: Can I construct a RubyGem such
> that I
> can have several alternative, pre-built binaries, and get the correct
> one
> installed for the user's platform?
> Curt

I don't think you want to have a single gem with every binary in it, but
a gem binary for each platform.  Is that right?  I believe we have this
capability now...Chad???

I know in the Gem spec you can specify the platform (win32, etc).  The
question is how does the installer deal with multiple available gems
(of the same name) but of different platforms.  Chad and I talked of
this, but I don't know the state of the implementation.