[Rubygems-developers] I can see through my proxy!

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Tue Apr 13 23:45:09 EDT 2004

On 13/4/2004, at 4:34 PM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> Hi chaps,
> I'm at work behind a proxy server.  I'm very pleased to report that the
> following commands do what I expect:
>   export HTTP_PROXY="http://www-cache:8000"
>   gem -Rl

Great to hear!

> Now, my related questions:
>   1. What does the --http-proxy option do?

You can actually specify your proxy here instead of using the
environment variable.

>   2. It seems superfluous to me; can we get rid of it?

It's like having CVSROOT and cvs -d to me.  It doesn't seem superfluous.

>   3. Can we have --http-proxy and --no-http-proxy if we want
>      to temporarily disable proxy access?  (i.e. neither option
>      takes an argument.)

Something like this might be nice, though you could just null out the
environment variable (if you're using one), and the absence of
--http-proxy would disable proxy access.

>   4. Perhaps allowing an *optional* argument, e.g.
>        --http-proxy 'http://www-cache:8000'
>      is good, but I really can't see why you'd want it.

I prefer not to muck around with environment variables most of the
time.  When given a command line option vs. an environment variable, I
almost always use the command line version.  I can't really defend it,
but I'm at least one user who wants it. :)

> I realise the above are a jumbled mish-mash of contradictions;
> hopefully
> some clarity can emerge.
> # And I really wish 'rdict' was available as a gem...

That's probably easily solved. :)