[Rubygems-developers] The path to Environmentally Clean Test

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Tue Apr 13 08:52:09 EDT 2004

Chad Fowler wrote:

>> This is just the start to enable Environment clean testing.  We need
>> to start using them now.  At least *two* tests are still
>> environmentally sensitive because they were failing until I installed
>> the latest CVS, then they started passing (they were remote installer
>> related).
>>

> I'll add this to my list, though it may be tomorrow night before I can
> get to it.  Feel free to fix it before then if you're motivated. :)

I found a couple of things I missed last night.  (1) I missed the
GEM_PATH in the bin/gem script.  Fixed.   (2) bogussources.rb needed a
require (plus a typo fix).

Both of these were caught by the functional test, not the unit test.
Just shows its important to run *all* the tests before committing (slaps
self on wrist).

>> Finally, just one more thing.
>>
>> For some reason 'assert_raise' doesn't work on my system, but
>> 'assert_raises' does.  Is the is Test::Unit compatibility thing?  I'm
>> not sure.
>
> This was changed on Jan. 9.  I'm working from ruby 1.9, so it's my fault
> that we have assert_raise.  What do you think we should do?  It would be
> nice to test on both 1.8.1 and 1.9.*.

Does assert_raises work in 1.9?  If not, we will need to add a assert
method that is only only used in one or the other version.  Whichever
way makes sense.