[Rubygems-developers] What's with "sources-ruby"?

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Sun Apr 11 09:13:52 EDT 2004

On 11/4/2004, at 7:24 AM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> I'm not complaining about the apparent change, but this output from
> install.rb seems contradictory.
>   Successfully built RubyGem
>   Name: sources
>   Version: 0.0.1
>   File: sources-ruby-0.0.1.gem
> Shouldn't the name be "sources-ruby", not "sources"?
> Hmmm... and in fact, a quick 'gem -Ll' reveals that it *is*
> "sources-ruby".  Oh well.
> BTW, I was uninstalling all of my gems (to create a clean environment
> for some testing), and had trouble uninstalling "sources", because the
> name matched "sources" and "sources-ruby".  I'm pretty sure there's a
> bug:
>   $ ./gem -u sources
>   Attempting to uninstall gem 'sources'
>   Select RubyGem to uninstall:
>    1. sources-0.0.1
>    2. sources-ruby-0.0.1
>    3. All versions
>   ./lib/rubygems/installer.rb:196:in `gets': No such file or directory
> - -u (Errno::ENOENT)
>           from ./lib/rubygems/installer.rb:196:in `uninstall'
>           from bin/gem:436:in `uninstall'
>           from bin/gem:116:in `run'
>           from bin/gem:685
> So I had to do it manually (thinking about it now, I should've fixed
> the bug :).

I may be wrong, but it looks like this started happening with
specification.rb v 1.16 or 1.17, where Jim was cleaning up some
warnings.  I'd be interested see what happens if you completely remove
your gems directory and rerun install.rb from the latest CVS.  I wonder
if it will clean up both of your problems (this and the next email).