[Rubygems-developers] What's with "sources-ruby"?

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Sun Apr 11 22:24:43 EDT 2004

I'm not complaining about the apparent change, but this output from
install.rb seems contradictory.

  Successfully built RubyGem
  Name: sources
  Version: 0.0.1
  File: sources-ruby-0.0.1.gem

Shouldn't the name be "sources-ruby", not "sources"?

Hmmm... and in fact, a quick 'gem -Ll' reveals that it *is*
"sources-ruby".  Oh well.

BTW, I was uninstalling all of my gems (to create a clean environment
for some testing), and had trouble uninstalling "sources", because the
name matched "sources" and "sources-ruby".  I'm pretty sure there's a
bug:

  $ ./gem -u sources
  Attempting to uninstall gem 'sources'
  Select RubyGem to uninstall:
   1. sources-0.0.1
   2. sources-ruby-0.0.1
   3. All versions
  ./lib/rubygems/installer.rb:196:in `gets': No such file or directory - -u (Errno::ENOENT)
          from ./lib/rubygems/installer.rb:196:in `uninstall'
          from bin/gem:436:in `uninstall'
          from bin/gem:116:in `run'
          from bin/gem:685

So I had to do it manually (thinking about it now, I should've fixed
the bug :).

Cheers,
Gavin