[Rubygems-developers] New Wiki page: release planning

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Sat Apr 3 11:24:55 EST 2004

On 2/4/2004, at 10:50 PM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> Folks,
> If you visit
>   http://rubygems.rubyforge.org
> now, you'll see a new section "Developers' Area" with a sole entry:
> "Release Planning".  Please check that out.
> It is my best effort to distill the history of this mailing list, as
> well as my private notes and the TODO file, into a set of fixes,
> improvements, and features that are likely to be implemented or at
> least talked about in the foreseeable future.  The real aim of the
> page, though, is to focus attention on what needs to be done for the
> next release, which I presume will be called 0.3.
> All aspects of the page are up for discussion, though, and I would
> like to see Chad and Rich move things around according to priority.

This is great.  I don't see anything wrong with the ordering.  Of
course, since we're all doing this for free, if there's a feature later
down the list that you feel like pulling in, go for it. :)

Now for the stuff to do before release:

	• 	 support all config file features (rdoc arguments and gempath)

	• 	 improve error messages throughout

	• 	 fix --gen-rdoc bug

	• 	 include Simon's 'require' hack? (No consensus, despite the longest
thread in history :)

	• 	 confirm that proxy operations work

	• 	 last but not least, documentation (kind of important that users
know what they're dealing with)

Gavin, i assume you have the first bullet.  I can take a look at the
3rd (and I've been getting things ready for the second).  I'll check
out proxy support on Monday but anyone else who uses proxies, please
feel free to give it a go.

I'll also try to get in and do some documentation on the wiki for the
features I've been adding.  I'm traveling again on Tuesday and have a
pretty full schedule leading up to then, so my involvement will
continue to be a bit spotty.