[Rubygems-developers] Another plug for Simon's patch

Mauricio Fernández batsman.geo at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 02:28:47 EST 2004

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 08:40:04AM +1000, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> > Regarding the practical measures, in another msg I proposed that
> > * at least equal importance be attached to the versioning policy as to other
> >   technicalities in rubygems' documentation (I'd put it *before*
> >   'Creating the Gem Specification' in the 'RubyGems Developer Documentation
> >   Area').
>
> It's a different area.  I'd say create a document that outlines a
> sensible policy that we'd like all gems to adhere to, and explain why,
> and then link to that document from other places.  It's not something
> that needs to be rammed down people's throats, inline, at every step.

I was rather thinking of putting it only once, at the beginning of
that section.

> > * in general, that the versioning policy be considered a fundamental part of
> >   rubygems and that all needed measures be adopted to ensure that no 'gem
> >   packager' will break the system unintentionally. (edited)
>
> I'm not sure about this.  Actually policing it seems a bit
> heavy-handed for what it, essentially, an enabling technology.  I'd
> like to know what you think are "all needed measures".

Just a place holder for stuff we might think of later, or a way to
express that this requires further reflection ;)
For instance, this could mean
 * tighter validation of gems by validator.rb
 * distributing the policy with rubygems

> Making a policy a "fundamental part" of a technology seems misguided
> to me, like builing anti-spam mechanisms into POP3.

rubygems' desc on rubyforge is

"RubyGems is the Ruby standard for publishing and managing third party
libraries."

I interpreted that as the 'standard system': not only technology, but
also some infrastructure (like gems.rubyforge.org) and a set of
conventions.

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

...and scantily clad females, of course.  Who cares if it's below zero
outside.
	-- Linus Torvalds