[Rubygems-developers] Another plug for Simon's patch

Curt Hibbs curt at curthibbs.us
Thu Apr 1 14:09:00 EST 2004

Mauricio Fernández wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:33:42AM -0800, David A. Black wrote:
> > < 1.1.  I think trying to impose a versioning policy, in the sense of
> > telling people which digits have to flip or not flip under what
> > circumstances, is about as likely to succeed as telling people they
> > can only create a gem if they use Emacs.
>
> Now if that's not an exaggeration ;-)...
> You believe it's not likely to succeed, I don't really agree; that
> doesn't take us anywhere :P But do you think we shouldn't even attempt
> to get people to adopt good practices because we might fail?
> IMHO, if anything that's an argument *for trying harder* ;-)

I think most developer's would agree that a standard version numbering
method would be desirable (even if you couldn't get them to agree what the
method should be).

Just like naming conventions ("read_http_stream" vs. readHttpStream), it
helps when developers follow the community's defacto standard, but its not
required. Couldn't we do the same here -- if you follow the "standard"
versioning scheme, your stuff will play better with RubyGems, but its not
required that you do so.

Curt