[Rubygems-developers] Version number format

David A. Black dblack at wobblini.net
Thu Apr 1 05:23:57 EST 2004

Hi --

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 30, 2004, 10:20:16 AM, Chad wrote:
>
> > David and I were just talking about this on AIM.  I think we both
> > understand a scenario in which this would be useful.  David's proposed
> > solution (which I think is the most simple and elegant) is to use a
> > different gem name for the snapshots.  You could do, for example,
> > captcha-snapshot and have a bleeding edge versioning scheme that you
> > update.  This way, the following would always get you the latest
> > snapshot:
>
> > gem --remote --install captcha-snapshot
>
> > The downside is you have to require_gem("captcha-snapshot"), but given
> > the way gems works, you would most likely only be doing this in one
> > place, so it wouldn't be a big deal to change when you get to general
> > release for libs that require the snapshot.
>
> > What do you think?
>

> I don't quite follow the reasoning that "you would most likely only be
> doing this in one place".  If I install 'log4r-snapshot', then all my
> installed libraries and applications that use 'log4r' won't see the
> snapshot.  I don't see the point of installing something if it won't
> be seen.

This is another case where I don't think we can micromanage user
behavior in advance, but my take on it is that usually CVS snapshots
and such are put in a sandbox somewhere (like /usr/local/lib/ruby-cvs,
on my system).  I don't think, in the typical case, that someone
trying out a nightly snapshot would want all programs that use that
library to switch to the snapshot without being told to.  At least,
that's how I perceive the customary usage of these things.

David

--
David A. Black
dblack at wobblini.net