[Rubygems-developers] Another plug for Simon's patch

Mauricio Fernández batsman.geo at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 10:32:51 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 05:45:58PM -0800, David A. Black wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On 1 Apr 2004, Simon Strandgaard wrote:
>
> > Usualy programs have different API for each major version.
> > Having '> 1.0.3' may also imply that a version '2.9.9' is ok, which it
> > probably isn't.
> >
> > I guess its better to let the major ('1.x.x') field be strict to the
> > specified version.
>
> Jim's idea of 1.* allows for freezing a particular major version,
> while not changing the meaning of ">".  I think that's better, as it
> allows for more scenarios (rather than deciding in advance that
> compatible major versions will not be considered possible).

Please please read
http://www.codeforpeople.com//lib/ruby/library/library-0.0.0/doc/ for a
versioning policy that allows compatible major versions and *does not
require one to be able to predict the future* ;-)

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

The linuX Files -- The Source is Out There.
	-- Sent in by Craig S. Bell, goat at aracnet.com