[Rubygems-developers] Why base64?

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Sat Nov 29 11:43:50 EST 2003

Replace that ptach link with
http://rafb.net/paste/results/V2213171.html

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Chad Fowler wrote:

# Mauricio Fernandez asked the question on irc, "Why use base64?"  So, I
# thought I'd post the question here as well.  He has an example gem here:
# http://www.thekode.net/misc/chad-1.2.3.gem
#
# And the patch (not that it's not obvious) here:
# http://rafb.net/paste/results/k2460949.html
#
# I find it more pleasing to open the file and see base64, but is there a
# less subjective reason that we *need* to base64 encode files?  I assumed
# that putting binary files into the gems was a bad thing for some reason,
# but I'm not convinced that there is a technical reason not to do it.
#
# Chad
#
# Rubygems-developers mailing list