[Rubygems-developers] Why base64?

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Sat Nov 29 11:42:35 EST 2003

Mauricio Fernandez asked the question on irc, "Why use base64?"  So, I
thought I'd post the question here as well.  He has an example gem here:
http://www.thekode.net/misc/chad-1.2.3.gem

And the patch (not that it's not obvious) here:
http://rafb.net/paste/results/k2460949.html

I find it more pleasing to open the file and see base64, but is there a
less subjective reason that we *need* to base64 encode files?  I assumed
that putting binary files into the gems was a bad thing for some reason,
but I'm not convinced that there is a technical reason not to do it.

Chad