[Rubygems-developers] Handling documentation

Richard Kilmer rich at infoether.com
Fri Nov 28 11:36:51 EST 2003

On Nov 28, 2003, at 10:56 AM, Chad Fowler wrote:

> # Which would have a list of rdoc or whatever doc type you want files
> # that would be included in the Gem, but would not be extracted during
> # install...but that you could specify the above mentioned:
> #
>
> I wouldn't want to actually include the rdoc'd docs in the
> distribution.
> Is that what you were thinking, rich?  I would just have --rdoc be a
> gem
> command and do the rdoc'ing at that point.  Therefore, the #docs array
> could be nothing but static documentation, which would be extracted
> as-is
> and the rest of the documentation would come from rdoc.
>
> Maybe this is what you were saying.  I'm still not quite awake. :)

That is exactly what I am saying.  If you have rdoc in your code you can
run --generate-rdoc or something that will traverse the installed ruby
files (#files) and generate the doc (into the --doc-dir or something).
I was thinking that if someone wanted to have documentation beyond rdoc,
or did not want to use rdoc for their api documentation (heaven forbid
;-)
then they could just include that (static) documentation in the #docs
array.

Wake up and smell the rainy, cold day!