[Rubygems-developers] Handling documentation

Richard Kilmer rich at infoether.com
Fri Nov 28 11:36:51 EST 2003

On Nov 28, 2003, at 10:56 AM, Chad Fowler wrote:

> # Which would have a list of rdoc or whatever doc type you want files
> # that would be included in the Gem, but would not be extracted during
> # install...but that you could specify the above mentioned:
> #
> I wouldn't want to actually include the rdoc'd docs in the
> distribution.
> Is that what you were thinking, rich?  I would just have --rdoc be a
> gem
> command and do the rdoc'ing at that point.  Therefore, the #docs array
> could be nothing but static documentation, which would be extracted
> as-is
> and the rest of the documentation would come from rdoc.
> Maybe this is what you were saying.  I'm still not quite awake. :)

That is exactly what I am saying.  If you have rdoc in your code you can
run --generate-rdoc or something that will traverse the installed ruby
files (#files) and generate the doc (into the --doc-dir or something).
I was thinking that if someone wanted to have documentation beyond rdoc,
or did not want to use rdoc for their api documentation (heaven forbid
then they could just include that (static) documentation in the #docs

Wake up and smell the rainy, cold day!