[Rubygems-developers] Handling documentation

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Fri Nov 28 21:25:10 EST 2003

OK, so since I mentioned it on ruby-talk and Chad and Jim replied
positively, let's talk about if and how Gems should deal with
documentation.

Note: I don't want to waste anyone's time or distract developers from
the basics, especially with an upcoming release.

Anyway, without having thought about it too much, I just figured that
a gem should contain instructions on how to build documentation (list
Rake's RDocTask).  So part of installation is running RDoc over the
source and depositing the output in a predictable place.  Another part
of documentation installation is perhaps copying some files (ChangeLog
etc.) verbatim.

There's plenty of things to talk about wrt default options and
behaviours, but no need to worry about that now.  I just want to know
if the way I'm thinking is compatible with you guys.

A related thought is this: RubyGems already has a bit of overlap with
Rake (like packaging).  Now I'm talking about an RDocTask.  Is there a
synergy here?  I definitely think so.

Cheers,
Gavin