[Rubygems-developers] Installation into 'bin' directory

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Thu Nov 27 08:12:10 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Jim Weirich wrote:

# Gavin Sinclair wrote:
# > Hi guys,
# >
# > I noticed on the Wiki that when you install RubyGems, you must
# > manually copy the executable to a place in your path.  I wonder why
# > that is.  Minero Aoki's install.rb handles it.
# >
# > Anyway, I'll install gems myself soon and see what's going on.
# This was discussed, but didn't get implemented in the first pass.
# Eventually, it will support executable installation.

In fact, as I recall, it wasn't a real choice we made *not* to support
this.  We just haven't gotten to it yet.  It's probably not too
complicated to add it.  Patch, Gavin? :)