[Rubygems-developers] require_path inconsistency

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Thu Dec 18 07:19:45 EST 2003

While I was just firing up my gem_server and trying to get some docs
installed for browsing on one of the modules, I ran across some behavior I
didn't like.  But, I wanted to get some opinions before changing it.

Right now, it's possible in the gem spec to have a require_path which
doesn't exist in the gem.  So, for example, I could install a gem that has
nothing but a subdirectory named "chad" but set my require_path to "blah".
Given the way RubyGems is supposed to operate, I would think that this
behavior would *never* be desirable.  So, I think we should check at gem
generation time to ensure that the require_path actually exists in the

But, I just woke up. :)

What do you all think?