[Rubygems-developers] Binary distribution

Paul Brannan pbrannan at atdesk.com
Wed Dec 3 11:56:12 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 10:10:53PM -0500, Chad Fowler wrote:
> How do you all feel we should deal with binary files (like compiled C
> extensions)?  We currently have the capability to differentiate gems by
> platform and load shared objects.  So, it would be very simple to support
> downloading and installing the right gem for the platform you're on.

I don't know if it's the best solution, but we could deal with this the
way RPM does: distinguish between "source gems" and "binary gems".  C
extensions would generally be distributed as source gems but could be
distributed as binary gems if a particular target platform is popular
enough to warrant it.

A nice side effect of this is that it allows us to fairly easily convert
the "source gem" to a source package of another package format (e.g. an
srpm), which will then let us build a binary package in another package
format.  People will want to be able to integrate gems into their native
packaging system, and I think this is a feasible goal.