[Rubygems-developers] Binary distribution

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Tue Dec 2 22:10:53 EST 2003

Rich and I had a short phone chat last week about this, but I'm still left
feeling unsure:

How do you all feel we should deal with binary files (like compiled C
extensions)?  We currently have the capability to differentiate gems by
platform and load shared objects.  So, it would be very simple to support
downloading and installing the right gem for the platform you're on.

When Rich and I talked, we questioned the feasibility of developers
distributing binaries of their modules for, for example, all of the
different linux flavors.  I bought it at the time, but I'm starting to
wonder if we were painting a more complicated picture than we should have

What are your thoughts on distributing binaries of ruby C extensions?  I
would really like to see us do it if there's a way.  I'd like to
ultimately support binary and source distributions, like many of the
popular linux package managers do.

Anyone have any concrete ideas of what might go wrong if we were to try to
do binary distributions?